Saturday, June 10, 2006

New Me


I could say my life is back to normal now after those 20 days in Thailand. But my life isnt the same either.

While doing the Thailand Outreach, we were told that after this mission trip, we'd feel weird when we get back to our own land. Thats because we'd be reminded of everything---places, food, experiences and most of all, the people whom we're not sure we'd still ever see again. That's exactly what's happening to me right now. Argh.

Having been able to get there and be one of the 79 short-term youth missionaries was one of the great big miracles of my life! Seriously. I didnt think I could go because fund-raising is really difficult to do in these times when everyone seems to be in need. But I super thank God for the lives of all the people who helped, who came from different places and gave in the most unlikely moments. I enjoyed the surprise of receiving things from people I never expected would be so generously helpful! This was one of the first things I came to enjoy while preparing for this trip--the surprises! And next is the anticipation for more.


I knew that going out there in the mission fields meant stepping out of my comfort zone. We went to different tribe locations where there was no mobile reception! (I couldnt live without my mobile phone back home!) And when we were immersed in the Karen tribe community in Chiangrai for a week, we stayed in a really really cold place where they were used to the "squatty potties" and bathing with ice cold water! My team mates and I have our own "stories of discomfort" to share but whenever we sat down and talked during breaks, we realized they never really mattered.

After Thailand, Im never the same. I met a new family, my team mates in Team Zech. I met new friends--the people from the Thai churches, the Thai youth, our interpreters, the pastors, the tribesfolks, the other teams. I met a new me. I realized that I can maximize my potentials to bring ease to the lives of other people, make a difference, and simply bring smiles to strangers and that even far away from all the comfort i have always been used to, I realized that all I need is a heart thats willing to do anything to please God and He'd give me all that I need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You are so amazing...